Can't Self Update

Sean Hermany sean.hermany at gmail.com
Tue Oct 3 15:10:13 PDT 2006

Thanks a lot. The output I got was:

Seans-Mac:~ seanh$ sudo port -d -v selfupdate
Password:
DEBUG: Rebuilding the MacPorts base system if needed.
Synchronizing from rsync://rsync.darwinports.org/dpupdate/dports
rsync: failed to connect to rsync.darwinports.org: Operation timed out (60)
rsync error: error in socket IO (code 10) at /SourceCache/rsync/rsync-24/rsync/c
lientserver.c(94)
DEBUG: Couldn't sync dports tree: sync failed doing rsync
    while executing
"darwinports::selfupdate [array get global_options]"
Error: /opt/local/bin/port: selfupdate failed: Couldn't sync dports tree: sync f
ailed doing rsync

The timeout error led me to check my firewall settings. Apparently the
stupid wireless gateway/router/cablemodem I have from timewarner
wasn't letting rsync through. A few changes and MacPorts was working
fine.