macports and specific build

Ryan Schmidt macports-2006d at ryandesign.com
Wed Oct 11 10:34:01 PDT 2006

On Oct 11, 2006, at 12:14, Aurélien Lignel wrote:

> How can I build a soft with specific built command?
>
>  example : port install <soft> <"--disable-nls">
> It's possible?

MacPorts takes the view that not every configure option is useful,
and that you shouldn't have to look through the output of "./
configure --help" and read a bunch of text to figure out which ones
are useful. So part of the job of a port author is to determine which
options are useful, and turn these into so-called port variants. So
you should say "port info foo" where "foo" is the name of the
software you want to install, and it will list the variants that the
port author has included, and there will hopefully be a variant or
variants matching your desires. Then you install with those variants
by saying "sudo port install foo +variant1 +variant2" where
"variant1" and "variant2" are variants from the list printed by "port
info foo".