Unable to get subversion 1.4 to work

Elise van Looij evlooij at xs4all.nl
Thu Oct 12 06:19:57 PDT 2006

A few days ago I decided I really needed version control, so I
installed Subversion. I already have Apache2, mySQL and PHP installed
via DarwinPorts, liked the simplicity of the process and decided to
go the same route with Subversion. The problem is I can't Subversion
to get to work for the life of me, always getting the same error
"svn: Could not open the requested SVN filesystem"

I've installed the following:
subversion @1.4.0_0+mod_dav_svn
apache2 @2.2.3_0      (I did an update around the same time)

I've used svnadmin to create a repository at /usr/local/svn-repository.
Then I've edited the httpd.conf file as follows:
Listen 8080

LoadModule dav_svn_module     modules/mod_dav_svn.so

<Location /svn>
    DAV svn
    SVNPath /usr/local/svn-repository
</Location>

According to all the tutorials and articles I've been able to find, I
should now be able to connect to svn via http://localhost:8080/svn
but all I get is the "Could not open the requested SVN filesystem".
I've tried changing the owner of the directory to www (which is the
HTTP user), but still no go.

When I try to do an import on the command line, I get:

svn: PROPFIND request failed on '/svn'
svn: Could not open the requested SVN filesystem"

The Apache error log says:

[Thu Oct 12 12:05:39 2006] [error] [client ::1] Could not open the
requested SVN filesystem  [500, #2]
[Thu Oct 12 12:05:39 2006] [error] [client ::1] File does not exist: /
opt/local/apache2/htdocs/favicon.ico
[Thu Oct 12 12:06:08 2006] [error] [client ::1] (20014)Internal
error: Can't open file '/usr/local/Subversion/format': No such file
or directory

I'd really appreciate some help. I've googled all over the net but I
can't find the solution.

Elise van Looij
new to the macports list