macports and specific build

Mark Hattam mark at dxradio.demon.co.uk
Thu Oct 12 14:01:34 PDT 2006

At 17:24 -0500 11/10/06, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

>>>MacPorts takes the view that not every
>>>configure option is useful, and that you
>>>shouldn't have to look through the output of
>>>"./configure --help" and read a bunch of text
>>>to figure out which ones are useful. So part
>>>of the job of a port author is to determine
>>>which options are useful, and turn these into
>>>so-called port variants. So you should say
>>>"port info foo" where "foo" is the name of the
>>>software you want to install, and it will list
>>>the variants that the port author has
>>>included, and there will hopefully be a
>>>variant or variants matching your desires.
>>>Then you install with those variants by saying
>>>"sudo port install foo +variant1 +variant2"
>>>where "variant1" and "variant2" are variants
>>>from the list printed by "port info foo".
>>
>>So how do I install something like php4 with gd
>>support when gd isn't listed among the variants?
>
>Please keep discussion on the mailing list by using Reply To All.
>
>The php4 port version 4.4.4 revision 2 does
>include a gd variant. Make sure you have the
>latest version of the port by first saying "sudo
>port sync"

Well, I'm obviously missing something, because after doing a

sudo port sync
sudo port uninstall php4
sudo port clean -f php4

then a

sudo port install -f php4 +apache2+darwin_8+macosx+mysql4+gd

it seems to have ignored the +gd bit altogether,
as it went through all the usual parts of the
install without apparently doing anything about
gd. I expected it to download and install gd as
part of the php4 install, like it does with
expat, gettext, openssl and the like.

Mark