macports and specific build

Ryan Schmidt macports-2006d at ryandesign.com
Thu Oct 12 14:31:47 PDT 2006

On Oct 12, 2006, at 16:01, Mark Hattam wrote:

>> The php4 port version 4.4.4 revision 2 does include a gd variant.
>> Make sure you have the latest version of the port by first saying
>> "sudo port sync"
>
> Well, I'm obviously missing something, because after doing a
>
> sudo port sync
> sudo port uninstall php4
> sudo port clean -f php4
>
> then a
>
> sudo port install -f php4 +apache2+darwin_8+macosx+mysql4+gd
>
> it seems to have ignored the +gd bit altogether, as it went through
> all the usual parts of the install without apparently doing
> anything about gd. I expected it to download and install gd as part
> of the php4 install, like it does with expat, gettext, openssl and
> the like.

Well, no, it doesn't need to download gd. The php distribution
already includes a version of gd, so that gets used.

If you look into the portfile (which you can see by typing "port edit
php4") you'll see this section:

variant gd {
	depends_lib-append	port:jpeg port:libpng port:freetype

	configure.args-append	--with-gd \
				--with-jpeg-dir=${prefix} \
				--with-png-dir=${prefix} \
				--enable-gd-native-ttf \
				--with-freetype-dir=${prefix}
}

So you see that when you add the gd variant, it then makes sure the
jpeg, libpng and freetype ports are installed. But no gd port is
required.