XMMS/eSound Configuration Issues

Ivan Kawaler ink_blot2001 at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 18 15:00:30 PDT 2006

I appologize if this is going to the wrong list since
it is not exactly a MacPorts issue.  Also, I am
relatively new to working with the UNIX side of OS X -
only since 10.3.

I have installed XMMS 1.2.10_2 and eSound 0.2.36_0.  I
am also using an M-Audio Delta 1010 audio interface.
I don't know if this is necessary, but I am running
Mac OS X 10.4.6.  I have XMMS set to use the eSound
Output Plugin.  Upon trying to play any audio file, I
get a "Couldn't open audio" window.  It states "Please
check to see if:  Your sound card is configured
properly, you have the correct output plugin selected,
no other program is blocking the soundcard."

No other programs are running other than X11,
WindowMaker, and XMMS, at least visibly.  The only
other output plugin is Disk Writer Plugin, which I
figured I didn't want to use.  And, to be honest, I
don't know if my sound card is configured properly.  I
know it is set up to run under OS X.  It defaults to
using my Delta 1010.

I figure that I need to configure my sound card to run
under X11.  I don't have a clue how to do this.  I
looked through various eSound documentation for
assistance with no luck.  The M-Audio site didn't help
me either, though there was a link to drivers for
UNIX/Linux.

Any help in configuring my sound card would be
appreciated, even if only a pointer to a likely source
of info.  Thanks in advance.

InkBlot