mysql5 +apache2 +php5 FAILED (mod_perl2 also)

Steve Trutane trutane at mac.com
Tue Oct 24 12:12:36 PDT 2006

On Oct 9, 2006, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> On Oct 9, 2006, at 21:40, Mark Duling wrote:
>
> > Ryan Schmidt on Monday, October 9, 2006 at 3:34 PM -0800 wrote:
> >
> >> You are experiencing the issue everyone is experiencing after
> >> upgrading from gettext 0.14.x to 0.15. You must now rebuild all
> ports
> >> that built against gettext 0.14.x. This is likely to be quite a few
> >> ports.
> >>
> >> See this recent message:
> >>
> >> http://lists.macosforge.org/pipermail/macports-users/2006-October/
> >> 000262.html
> >
> > Will
> >
> > sudo port -fR upgrade gettext
> >
> > work?  I ask because I'd like to put the easiest way to fix this
> > problem in a FAQ.
>
> I don't know! But that sounds like a good thing for someone who has
> not already fixed the problem to try out.

I tried this and it failed for me. It hung while configuring libiconv:

% sudo port -fR upgrade gettext
--->  Unable to uninstall libiconv 1.11_0+darwin_8, the following
ports depend on it:
--->    apr-util
--->    gettext
--->    ruby
--->    apr-util
--->    gettext
--->    gawk
--->    gettext
--->    ruby
Warning: Uninstall forced.  Proceeding despite dependencies.
--->  Deactivating libiconv 1.11_0+darwin_8
--->  Uninstalling libiconv 1.11_0+darwin_8
--->  Fetching libiconv
--->  Verifying checksum(s) for libiconv
--->  Extracting libiconv
--->  Configuring libiconv

It remained in that state for 12+ hours with no change. Here is the
ps data for the running process:

root      9503   0.0  0.1    27808    660  p1  S+   10:18PM   0:00.01
sh -c cd "/opt/local/var/db/dports/build/
_opt_local_var_db_dports_sources_rsync.rsync.darwinports.org_dpupdate_dp
orts_textproc_libiconv/work/libiconv-1.11" &&
MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET=10.4 MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET=10.4 ./
configure --prefix=/opt/local --enable-static --mandir=/opt/local/
share/man

Top sorted by cpu usage showed these two hungry processes during the
configure, which disappeared after I killed the port upgrade command:

   PID COMMAND      %CPU   TIME   #TH #PRTS #MREGS RPRVT  RSHRD
RSIZE  VSIZE
     0 kernel_tas  39.7%  4:49:13  38     2  2544  19.0M+    0K  94.8M
+  877M+
11562 msgfmt      36.5%  3:55:50   1     7    32    48K   496K
356K  20.1M

My original problem was the same as reported by Yvon at the start of
this thread, i.e., activation of mod_perl2 fails with the "Image
error" concerning perllocal.pod not belonging to a registered port.

Figuring maybe my ports were out of date (updated maybe 1-2 weeks
ago), I then tried running

% sudo port sync

which stalls after syncing the ports. I saw downloading network
activity, which then stopped, but the port command never terminated
after many minutes following the download activity. But perhaps this
is a separate, unrelated problem...

Getting back to the gettext issue, I discovered the instructions here
pertaining to it:
http://trac.macports.org/projects/macports/wiki/ProblemHotlist

The shell script provided there only reported gettext.

I tried uninstalling and cleaning libiconv (which I know what a
dependency), then re-install, but it seemed to be stuck on ./
configure as before (same kernal_tas and msgfmt processes coming up
to the top).

I then uninstalled and force re-installed gettext, removing the two
older 0.14 versions I had with the '-duf' options as suggested. This
lead to lots of things being cleaned out. Then I attempted re-
installing gettext and my previously hosed libiconv configuration
then proceeded as normal:

% sudo port install -f gettext
--->  Configuring libiconv
--->  Building libiconv with target all
--->  Staging libiconv into destroot
--->  Packaging tgz archive for libiconv 1.11_0+darwin_8
--->  Installing libiconv 1.11_0+darwin_8
--->  Activating libiconv 1.11_0+darwin_8
--->  Cleaning libiconv
--->  Fetching gettext
--->  Verifying checksum(s) for gettext
--->  Extracting gettext
--->  Applying patches to gettext
--->  Configuring gettext
--->  Building gettext with target all
--->  Staging gettext into destroot
--->  Packaging tgz archive for gettext 0.15_0
--->  Installing gettext 0.15_0
--->  Activating gettext 0.15_0
--->  Cleaning gettext

Joy. But now for the acid test: activating mod_perl2. Unfortunately,
the same error occurs.

--->  Activating mod_perl2 2.0.2_0
Error: Target com.apple.activate returned: Image error: /opt/local/
lib/perl5/5.8.8/darwin-2level/perllocal.pod already exists and does
not belong to a registered port.  Unable to activate port mod_perl2.

Doh!

Perhaps this mod_perl2 problem is not gettext related? Advice welcome.

Steve

PS. Regarding that trouble with 'port sync', it still hangs, so this
is apparently a separate problem. I'll post some info about that to
the list separately.