dovecot 1.0.rc10

James Berry jberry at macports.org
Tue Oct 24 13:34:03 PDT 2006

Hi Keith,

On Oct 24, 2006, at 12:41 PM, Keith Shaw wrote:

> hi james,
>
> first and foremost thank you for your hard work to bring dovecot to
> darwinports (i mean macports ;-)  i read your thread on the dovecot
> mailing list while trying to figure out my problems with dovecot on
> Mac OS X.  i hope your patch to avoid hard links makes it into the
> 1.0 final release.

Unfortunately, Timo has decided not to put the patch into that
release.  Hopefully the patch will make it into a subsequent release.
The version of dovecot in macports does apply the patch, however.

> i do have one question i hope you can answer.  is there any thing
> that needs to be done to a system that was running an _unpatched_
> version of dovecot.  from what i've read, it seems like my system
> should still have hard links all over.  and it would seem i should
> clean these up.  to summarize:

To remove the hardlinks, you need to delete any and all copies of the
files that are referenced by the hardlinks, then reboot the server. I
believe this is what I did:

	- Shut down dovecot
	- Tar up my mail directories
	- Delete the mail directories
	- Untar the directories
	- Reboot the machine
	- Start dovecot

My dovecot system has been much happier since I did that and applied
the patches.

James.