errors during ion3 upgrade

Pierre Queinnec pmq at macports.org
Thu Oct 26 02:43:12 PDT 2006

Hi Joerg,

Joerg van den Hoff wrote:
> I'd like to report the following error (and unexpected) messages which
> occured during an upgrade of `ion3' (which is a _really_ nice X11 window
> manager (maybe the way vi is a nice editor, though)).
It is... BTW, you might also like ratpoison and/or wmii ;)

> `port selfupdate' had just been run. platform is  G5 and 10.4.8. I have
> inserted my points as "shell comments" in the `port' messages:
>
> sudo port upgrade ion3
> Password:
>
> Portfile changed since last build; discarding previous state.
> ### question: what does the last line mean?
It probably means you edited the portfile, and that you already tried to
build it before, and didn't clean it properly. So port tells you it
needs to remove the work dir to start anew.

> --->  Deactivating readline 5.0.005_0+darwin_8
> --->  Fetching readline
> --->  Attempting to fetch readline51-001 from
> ftp://ftp.cwru.edu/pub/bash/readline-5.1-patches/
> --->  Attempting to fetch readline51-001 from
> http://distfiles-od.opendarwin.org/readline
> --->  Attempting to fetch readline51-001 from
> http://distfiles-msn.opendarwin.org/readline
> --->  Attempting to fetch readline51-001 from
> http://distfiles-bay13.opendarwin.org/readline
> --->  Attempting to fetch readline51-001 from
> http://distfiles-od.opendarwin.org/
> --->  Attempting to fetch readline51-001 from
> http://distfiles-msn.opendarwin.org/
> --->  Attempting to fetch readline51-001 from
> http://distfiles-bay13.opendarwin.org/
> Error: Target com.apple.fetch returned: fetch failed
> ### question: all attempts of fetching `readline' above failed. on the
> ### other hand readline 5.1.004 _is_ installed and seems current. what
> ### is going on here?
You trying to update it from 5.1.004 to 5.1.005, and the fetch phase
fails, for whatever reasons.

> --->  Deactivating lua 5.0.2_1
> --->  Fetching lua
> --->  Attempting to fetch lua-5.1.1.tar.gz from http://www.lua.org/ftp/
> --->  Verifying checksum(s) for lua
> --->  Extracting lua
> --->  Configuring lua
> --->  Building lua with target macosx
> --->  Staging lua into destroot
> --->  Packaging tgz archive for lua 5.1.1_0
> --->  Installing lua 5.1.1_0
> --->  Activating lua 5.1.1_0
> --->  Cleaning lua
> --->  Deactivating libiconv 1.10_1
> Error: Deactivating libiconv 1.10_1 failed: \
> Active version of libiconv is not 1.10_1 but 1.10_1+darwin_8.
> ### question: is the above error relevant? or is the portfile for ion3
> ### not quite OK?
You'll need to have a working libiconv install, ie activate the latest
version if it's still inactive. It has nothing to do with ion3. You can
check the different libiconv versions you have by issuing a 'port
installed libinconv'; active versions will be marked as such.

> for the moment, the above error messages seem to have no consequences
> (the upgrade succeeded and ion3 seems to run fine) but I just wanted to
> bring this to the attention of the list, just in case ...
>
> regards,
> joerg

-- Pierre