http update ports tree using subversion

BB 2nfinite at gmail.com
Thu Oct 26 10:50:01 PDT 2006

Chris,

>> 1. Checkout ports tree and place in standard MacPorts location:
>> cd /opt/local/var/db/dports/sources/
>> svn co http://svn.macports.org/repository/macports/trunk/dports \
>> rsync.rsync.darwinports.org_dpupdate_dports
>
> That should work fine, but you might want to be careful against a
> selfupdate (updating the MacPorts base). If rsync were to overwrite
> that directly, you would be disappointed. I would recommend
> leaving /opt/local/var/db/dports/sources/
> rsync.rsync.darwinports.org_dpupdate for rsync only, if for no
> other reason than to avoid any possible conflict.

OK, I agree and have decided on using this directory:

/opt/local/var/db/dports/sources/http.svn.macports.org_dports

for the subversion working copy, as this will avoid possible conflict
with current MacPorts.

Now I have a question about manual selfupdate, how do I manually
update MacPorts? From reading the GettingStarted-MacPorts-Trac wiki
page and snooping around darwinports tcl code, it looks like I can
run subversion on

http://svn.macports.org/repository/macports/trunk/base

and write the working copy to

/opt/local/var/db/dports/sources/http.svn.macports.org_base

Then compare my working copy base/config/dp_version to MP's dpupdate1/
base/config/dp_version and if newer, then
./configure
make
make install

Looks like a lot of repetitive work. I'm tempted to hack the
selfupdate routine in my working copy of base/src/darwinports1.0/
darwinports.tcl.

Brian