Launchd, execve and execvp ...

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sun Oct 29 12:31:53 PST 2006

On Oct 29, 2006, at 13:09, David M. Cole wrote:

> At 1:54 PM -0600 10/29/06, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> Wait, are you using Mac OS X, or just Darwin? I thought part of
>> the reason for renaming DarwinPorts to MacPorts was that we didn't
>> want to support plain Darwin anymore....
>
> yes, just plain darwin ... din't know about that restriction (you
> might want to put that on a web page or something ...).

Oh, there are lots of things we should put on the web page or
something. This transition we're currently undergoing has thrown
everything into disarray.

I believe the problem was that most of the developers did not in fact
have a pure Darwin box to test with, so things constantly broke for
Darwin, and with Macs and therefore Mac OS X gaining popularity, it
was felt that supporting Darwin was not very feasible. I have the
apache2 port installed and I do use launchctl to start and stop it,
and it works fine on Mac OS X. But I also unfortunately have no
experience with pure Darwin.