Possible bug compiling and installing Expat?

Dan Sullivan dsulliva at bsd.uchicago.edu
Wed Sep 20 08:37:00 PDT 2006


This is my first post to this list, sorry if I'm not doing things
appropriately here.  My original intention was to submit a bug to bugzilla
as per the instructions on http://darwinports.opendarwin.org/help/, however
when I actually get to the point where I'd be posting on Bugzilla
http://bugzilla.opendarwin.org/enter_bug.cgi, there is no section for
Darwinports, so... Here's my question and problem.

Basically I'm running 10.4 on a Macbook pro.  When I first started using
ports and playing around I hosed my TCL/TK install (this is a long story),
but I think it's working fine now (I ended up uninstalling it and
reinstalling it from sources, ports, etc, basically tried a lot of stuff to
get it working and finally did).  I honestly know very little about the way
compilers, makefiles, etc, work, so I'm not sure if I'm even reporting a bug
or just asking a stupid question.

Anyways, Darwin ports works lovely  except for when I try to install the
expat port. I've ran selfupdate and sync, and all of my ports aside from
nmap are up to date.  I'm tempted to just install expat from the source, but
I don't want the same thing to happen to me when I installed TCL from source
and things blew up.  Below is the output from darwinports when I try to
install expat:

wireless-226-26:~ dansullivan$ sudo port
DarwinPorts 1.320
Entering interactive mode... ("help" for help, "quit" to quit)
[Users/dansullivan] > clean expat
--->  Cleaning expat
[Users/dansullivan] > install expat
--->  Fetching expat
--->  Verifying checksum(s) for expat
--->  Extracting expat
--->  Configuring expat
--->  Building expat with target all
--->  Staging expat into destroot
tclsh(2060,0xb83031e0) malloc: *** vm_allocate(size=3821060096) failed
(error code=3)
tclsh(2060,0xb83031e0) malloc: *** error: can't allocate region
tclsh(2060,0xb83031e0) malloc: *** set a breakpoint in szone_error to debug
Segmentation fault
wireless-226-26:~ dansullivan$


Because darwinports actually segfaults, I'm a little bit confused if my
problem is with my TCL install, Darwinports install, or with the way the
port is packed itself.  I was hoping that somebody could provide some
insight to my problem here.  Again, I apologize if I'm posting this to the
wrong place or in the wrong manner.  I've searched the mailing lists and
google already and from what I can tell, nobody else has had this problem.



This email is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged and confidential. If the reader of this email message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication is prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender and destroy/delete all copies of the transmittal. Thank you.

More information about the macports-users mailing list