configure/make/install options for compiling applications from source into /opt/local?

Daniel J. Luke dluke at geeklair.net
Thu Sep 21 10:09:56 PDT 2006

On Sep 21, 2006, at 12:17 PM, Wolfgang Keller wrote:
>> Then I would modify the existing portfile to add the option you want:
>> 'sudo port edit gnumeric'.
>
> $ sudo port edit gnumeric
> Error: No EDITOR is specified in your environment
>
> That's the kind of things that are not really Mac-like in Macports.

Well, Macports gives you access to a bunch of non Mac-like software ;-)

> Lots of things are "broken by default", there are no manuals how to
> fix
> things.

EDITOR is an environment variable that port uses to decide which text
editor to invoke when you type 'port edit foo'

With bash, you'd want to do something like 'export EDITOR=nano' (or
vi or emacs or whatever)

We could probably have it default to nano if no editor is specified,
though.
--
Daniel J. Luke