Weird fonts and cursor with XFree86 and Windowmaker

Tabitha McNerney tabithamc at gmail.com
Sat Sep 23 21:01:13 PDT 2006

Has anyone else noticed how weird the fonts presentation is (e.g., slanted
text) in the GUI of X11 based on XFree86 and Windowmaker? I also have the
fontconfig, freetype and Xft2 ports installed. Also, the cursor is a white
arrow that easily gets lost when the background color is white (it never
used to be this way -- it was a black cursor before). If I knew how to
easily take a screen snapshot in X11 with XFree86 I would do so for
demonstration of the problem at  hand.

Is this a problem with Windowmaker not changing to reflect changes in other
ports? Can anyone recommend a nice window manager to use in the event that
Windowmaker is essentially deprecated?

Much thanks,

T.