slefupdate failure

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sun Apr 1 11:45:27 PDT 2007

Let's keep the discussion on the mailing list please. Use the Reply
To All feature in your email program when you reply.

On Apr 1, 2007, at 11:44, Massimo Di Stefano wrote:

> Il giorno 01/apr/07, alle ore 01:15, Ryan Schmidt ha scritto:

>>> Is it possible that you have readline installed in /usr/local ?
>>
>> To complete Elias's thought: If you do have readline in /usr/
>> local, that's a problem for MacPorts. Get rid of that version of
>> readline, if you're not using it for anything. If you are using
>> it, then you'll need to temporarily move it out of the way, do
>> your thing with MacPorts, then move your readline back in place.
>> But note that you may very well need to do this each time you want
>> to use any part of MacPorts, which will get tedious.
>

> hi,
>
> i never installed readline from source, in usr/local
>
> i do not know if this can be an incompatibily with other unix-tools
> like fink or some frameworks that i've installed.
>

> i've tried to "comment #" the fink path in my .bash_profile
> and than i restarted term.app and launch again the sefupdate
> command, but nothing changes.
>
> have you a suggestion a bout on "how check the problem" ?

The error message really does point to a rogue readline somewhere in
your path. To see everywhere that you have readline on your system,
try this:

find / -name '*readline*' 2>/dev/null