Macports Newbie - XServe use

Alex Kac alex at webis.net
Sun Apr 1 15:24:51 PDT 2007

I am very comfortable with BSD (specifically OS X Server over the
last few years) and maintain my current OS X Server primarily via
command line, though I like web admin tools as well because I don't
always have SSH access and I prefer to not have my impatient typing
kill a server. So for the last few years I've been using iTools from
Tenon on my Dual G5 server. We are moving to a new XServe Xeon in the
next 2 days and I need to migrate the servers/config to that machine.
I do not wish to use the Apple supplied servers because they are
usually out of date and don't meet my needs. I do not wish to
continue using Tenon's iTools for the same reason. I am comfortable
building my own servers from source, but its been so long that I'm
not completely aware of all the options and I'd rather not recompile
apache 50 times because I forgot something. I was told by a friend
who maintains Apple's XServes in their IT team that some of those
guys are enamored with MacPorts. So great  - here I am :)

Here are the open source servers I run:
Apache2 with
	mod_SSL
	mod_auth_dbm
	PHP5
MySQL 5
Subversion
SFTP

I would like to add Webmin to the new server since we'd not be using
iTools. Right now we have Subversion using svn+ssh access (direct SVN
server access), but I'd like to change that to mod_SVN. So add that
to the list too :)

So my questions and concerns. With Apache2 we have it use the dbm for
all authentication instead of htaccess or OS X accounts. I'd like to
move our SFTP over to using the same dbm instead of OS X accounts
like it is now. And I definitely want MySQL 5 running as an x64
binary. The rest can run as 32-bit binaries.  Of course I'd like to
have it all start on startup and run in server mode.

With all that said, any tips on variants/options to use with MacPorts
to set this up properly?

Alex Kac - President and Founder
Web Information Solutions, Inc. - Microsoft Certified Partner

"The person who is not hungry says that the coconut has a hard shell."
-- African Tribal Saying