Failing to install gmime (dependency on gtk-sharp?)

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Apr 4 23:52:16 PDT 2007

On Apr 4, 2007, at 23:16, Avi Drissman wrote:

> I'm trying to install gmime, but am running into a surprising
> dependency:
>
> dhcp-172-29-130-115:~ avidriss$ sudo port install gmime
> --->  Configuring gmime
[snip]
> checking for GTK_SHARP... configure: error: Package requirements
> (gtk-sharp-2.0 >= 2.4.0) were not met:
>
> No package 'gtk-sharp-2.0' found
>
> Consider adjusting the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable if you
> installed software in a non-standard prefix.
>
> Alternatively, you may set the environment variables GTK_SHARP_CFLAGS
> and GTK_SHARP_LIBS to avoid the need to call pkg-config.
> See the pkg-config man page for more details.

> dhcp-172-29-130-115:~ avidriss$ port search sharp
> cocoa-sharp                    devel/cocoa-sharp 0.2          Cocoa
> bindings for the Mono .NET Development Framework
> gnome-bindings-csharp          devel/gnome-bindings-csharp
> 2.12         The GNOME bindings for C#
> qtc-qtsharp                    devel/qtc      0.7a
> Intermediate C++ glue for Qt C# bindings
> qtsharp                        devel/qtcsharp 0.7.1        Qt
> bindings for C#
> gecko-sharp                    x11/gecko-sharp 0.5          Gecko
> bindings for the Mono .NET Development Framework
> gtk-sharp                      x11/gtk-sharp  1.0.10       Gtk
> bindings for the Mono .NET Development Framework
> dhcp-172-29-130-115:~ avidriss$
>
> gmime appears to depend on gtk-sharp 2, whereas there's only gtk-
> sharp 1 available. Am I doing something wrong here?

It seems that on March 20, 2007, revision r22977 [1] was committed,
which applied a patch from Boey Maun Saung in ticket #11532 [2] to
update gmime from version 2.1.9 to 2.2.4. Perhaps this version of
gmime has different sharp requirements. But I'm curious how Maun
Saung managed to get gmime 2.2.4 to build at all without a gtk-sharp
version 2 port available. Comments?

[1] http://trac.macosforge.org/projects/macports/changeset/22977

[2] http://trac.macosforge.org/projects/macports/ticket/11532