FreeNX - low-bandwidth replacement for VNC

Ben bafrench at iinet.net.au
Thu Apr 5 18:14:56 PDT 2007

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if what anyone knows or thinks about a Mac port of
the "FreeNX" NX server?

Briefly, what NX essentially is, is a replacement/alternative for
VNC. But it's much, *much* faster and more responsive, because it
uses much lower bandwidth than VNC. VNC is fine to use over LAN or
really fast ADSL, but it's almost unusable over anything slower than
really fast ADSL.
Even on a LAN, VNC, while pretty darn good, you can still very much
tell that it's a network display. Apparently, with NX, you almost can
barely tell at all.

You can even run NX server (eg "server B") on another server on a
LAN, and tunnel VNC (eg from "server A") over it - it somehow decodes
the VNC data sent from server A, reencodes it into NX protocol on
server B, and then from a remote machine on a slow link you can
connect to server B using NX, and view server A's screen - with the
speed benefit of NX instead of VNC.

NX was developed as a commercial product, and is sold by the
(Italian) developer (NoMachine) as a commercial product. They release
the client for free, but you must pay for the server.
They did not create/release a server for OS X though (only a client).
So paying or not, you cannot run NX server on OS X.

However, they opensourced the NX protocol that they created and made
it free for use, and the open source community created an alternate
free opensource server, called FreeNX.
It has been ported to most or all the Linux distibutions, and FreeBSD
(and possibly more).
However it's never been ported to OS X, as far as I can find.

I've downloaded the source (freenx-0.6.0.tar.gz) and while I can
usually build and install "normal" packages like postgres/apache/php
etc, freeNX is a more complicated build and I don't know how to do it
(I'm far from being an expert with building/compiling).

I wondering (and hoping) if anyone might be interested in figuring
out how to build it on OS X and create a MacPort...

Any thoughts/comments/etc welcomed!

Relevant links:

NoMachine (the developer)
http://www.nomachine.com/