Macports Newbie - XServe use

Alex Kac alex at webis.net
Thu Apr 5 21:54:47 PDT 2007

It didn't. No biggie. Its probably not as well tested on OS X anyway.

Just spent the last hour compiling and installing perl modules for
some our custom junk. Argh. I hate perl.

On Apr 5, 2007, at 11:24 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> On Apr 1, 2007, at 19:13, Alex Kac wrote:
>
>>> I haven't had a chance to use an Intel Xserve yet but I assume
>>> that anything you compile with MacPorts would end up 64-bit if
>>> you're on such an Xserve. If you find that's not the case and
>>> that we need to modify the portfiles in some way to make it
>>> happen, let us know.
>>
>> Interesting :) Does anyone on this list have experience with this?
>> OS X Tiger on the XServe (Quad core Xeons) supports 64-bit server
>> processes such as MySQL 64-bit, but its not a 64-bit OS per se. I
>> know Leopard comes with 64-bit Apache/MySQL.
>
> Have you been able to test your mysql yet to see if it's 64-bit? I
> found this document describing how to get mysql to compile 64-bit
> (on PowerPC):
>
> http://www.afp548.com/article.php?story=20050705130841426
>
> That would imply that it doesn't automatically build 64-bit.

Alex Kac - President and Founder
Web Information Solutions, Inc. - Microsoft Certified Partner

"You cannot build a reputation on what you intend to do."
-- Liz Smith