autoconf build failure

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sun Apr 8 17:11:11 PDT 2007

On Apr 8, 2007, at 13:38, Dan Stowell wrote:

> dyld: lazy symbol binding failed: Symbol not found: _sprintf$LDBLStub
>  Referenced from:
> /opt/local/lib/perl5/5.8.8/darwin-2level/auto/Data/Dumper/
> Dumper.bundle
>  Expected in: dynamic lookup

It looks like someone else mentioned this problem in October 2006 but
did not receive a response to their message and did not write back to
say if or how they solved it:

http://lists.macosforge.org/pipermail/macports-users/2006-October/
000334.html

Someone else encountered it in February 2006 on another list (there
it was in relation to MySQL and Python), and it looks like the
problem could be that you're using gcc 3.3 instead of gcc 4.0 on Mac
OS X 10.4.x:

http://dunck.us/anabasis/archives/2006/02/23/mysqldb-on-mac-os-x-104/

What does "gcc_select" say on your system? It should say version
4.0.1. If it says version 3.3, then you should select version 4 with
"sudo gcc_select 4.0"

I'm not sure whether the problem is that autoconf doesn't like gcc
3.3 on Tiger, or maybe it's perl. Maybe you'll need to rebuild perl
after fixing the compiler version.