BIND9 stopped working...

Alex Kac alex at webis.net
Sun Apr 8 17:32:28 PDT 2007

So this is an OS X Server issue I'm sure...but let me see if I can
get some experienced help on this.

I'm using Bind9.4 from Macports. When the server was home as I was
setting it up, BIND9 was the first thing I setup. It was working
perfectly throughout the time I used it. I know because, well, it
just worked :)

Then I moved the server to its proper location and gave it a public
IP. I ran the changeip script that OS X server requires (stupid thing
that is). Now BIND9 runs, but does not work. I cannot get it to
respond to anything.

Here is the only thing I see in the logs:

Apr  8 19:25:29 localhost named[82]: starting BIND 9.4.0
Apr  8 19:25:29 localhost named[82]: command channel listening on
127.0.0.1#953
Apr  8 19:25:30 localhost named[82]: running

but doing an NSLookup to the server simply does not work.
wisops@[/opt/local/apache2/conf/vhosts]: nslookup
 > server webis.net
Default server: webis.net
Address: 66.118.228.13#53
 > ironcoffee.com

 > > webis.net

So - any ideas?

Alex Kac - President and Founder
Web Information Solutions, Inc. - Microsoft Certified Partner

"The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible
worlds; and the pessimist fears this is true."
-- James Clabell