BIND9 stopped working...

Alex Kac alex at webis.net
Sun Apr 8 17:46:01 PDT 2007

Also interestingly enough, it works if I do a:

webis:/opt/local/apache2/conf/vhosts root# nslookup
 > server 127.0.0.1
Default server: 127.0.0.1
Address: 127.0.0.1#53
 > webis.net
Server:         127.0.0.1
Address:        127.0.0.1#53

Name:   webis.net
Address: 66.118.228.13
 > cnet.com
Server:         127.0.0.1
Address:        127.0.0.1#53

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:   cnet.com
Address: 216.239.113.101
 > bugz.webis.net
Server:         127.0.0.1
Address:        127.0.0.1#53

bugz.webis.net  canonical name = austin1-public.webis.net.
Name:   austin1-public.webis.net
Address: 66.118.228.13

but once I tell it to use the public IP address, it times out again.
Weird.

Now if I restart bind - it works on the public address just fine. It
just won't work on the public address on startup. How can I setup
launchctl with the org.macports.bind9 to only start it after the
address is up?

 > server webis.net
Default server: webis.net
Address: 66.118.228.13#53

On Apr 8, 2007, at 7:32 PM, Alex Kac wrote:

> So this is an OS X Server issue I'm sure...but let me see if I can
> get some experienced help on this.
>
> I'm using Bind9.4 from Macports. When the server was home as I was
> setting it up, BIND9 was the first thing I setup. It was working
> perfectly throughout the time I used it. I know because, well, it
> just worked :)
>
> Then I moved the server to its proper location and gave it a public
> IP. I ran the changeip script that OS X server requires (stupid
> thing that is). Now BIND9 runs, but does not work. I cannot get it
> to respond to anything.
>
> Here is the only thing I see in the logs:
>
> Apr  8 19:25:29 localhost named[82]: starting BIND 9.4.0
> Apr  8 19:25:29 localhost named[82]: command channel listening on
> 127.0.0.1#953
> Apr  8 19:25:30 localhost named[82]: running
>
> but doing an NSLookup to the server simply does not work.
> wisops@[/opt/local/apache2/conf/vhosts]: nslookup
> > server webis.net
> Default server: webis.net
> Address: 66.118.228.13#53
> > ironcoffee.com

> > > webis.net
>

> So - any ideas?
>
> Alex Kac - President and Founder
> Web Information Solutions, Inc. - Microsoft Certified Partner
>
> "The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible
> worlds; and the pessimist fears this is true."
> -- James Clabell

Alex Kac - President and Founder
Web Information Solutions, Inc. - Microsoft Certified Partner

"Patience is the companion of wisdom."
--Anonymous