Python portgroups: 2.4 vs 2.5

Alastair Rankine arsptr at internode.on.net
Mon Apr 9 05:22:40 PDT 2007

Hi,

With the recent release of MacPorts 1.4 it seems there is a new
portgroup for Python 2.5, in addition to the old portgroup for Python
2.4

Unless I'm missing something, it means that ports that require Python
2.5 should use the new portgroup, and ports that don't should
continue to use the 2.4 portgroup? Or is it the case that all
compatible ports in the 2.4 portgroup are going to be migrated to the
new 2.5 portgroup? (I'll assume not for now, as this seems like a big
job)

So what if you want to install a python library from a port that
happens to use portgroup 2.4 but would quite happily run under Python
2.5? Is there a way of doing this? It seems from a short play that
installing a port that uses the 2.4 portgroup will result in Python
2.4 being dragged in as a dependency, even though Python 2.5 is
installed and compatible.

Just a bit confused here, can someone point the way?