Inactive/Uninstalled confusion

Romain smokey at forty-two.fr
Mon Apr 9 10:44:46 PDT 2007

Hello list,

I've come across a strange behaviour in DarwinPorts (1.3.2), that I
thought I'd read would be corrected in MacPorts (1.4). Well,
apparently not. I've just upgraded and it's still there.

The problem is that MacPorts sometimes thinks old versions of an
active port are still installed, and sometimes not. Confusing to say
the least. Example :

bagheera:~ smokey$ sudo port location atk
The following versions of atk are currently installed:
         atk 1.12.2_0
         atk 1.12.4_0
         atk 1.18.0_0 (active)
Error: port location failed: Registry error: Please specify the full
version as recorded in the port registry.
bagheera:~ smokey$ sudo port uninstall atk-1.12.2_0
Error: port uninstall failed: Registry error: atk-1.12.2_0 not
registered as installed.
bagheera:~ smokey$

So it seems that the port is indeed uninstalled, but for some reason
MP remembers it as installed but inactive.

Is anyone else experiencing this ? If so, it might be a cause for a
neat bug report.

Cheers,

Romain