fltk problems

Ken McGaugh ken at hotchachi.com
Mon Apr 9 17:35:16 PDT 2007

Hi all,

I have just recently started to use macports under OSX and I am
replacing all my manually installed libraries/tools
with ones installed via macports.  I've run into many problems with
the fltk-1.1.7 port...

   1.  It crashes with a bus error.  If I build it manually it works
OK.  I think this is related to the following issues.

   2.  It is built as an x11 library even though it places the
resulting "fluid" application into /Applications/MacPorts/fltk
        and asks you to bless the file with "fltk-config --post",
both of which imply it should be a native aqua application.

   3. It isn't built with --enable-threads which is needed by quite a
few apps.

   4. It depends on many libraries which come with OSX, but forces
you to build redundant versions of them through macports.

In my brief experience with macports it seems that fltk needs to have
multiple variants to handle the above issues.  One
of my questions is that should the base variant of fltk be the x11
version or should it be aqua with the variant being x11?

Also, is there a way to dynamically have macports know if
preinstalled versions of libraries exist and use them instead?

Many thanks.
--Ken