qt3-mac build failure: ranlib can't find libdesignercore.a

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Apr 9 23:08:03 PDT 2007

On Apr 9, 2007, at 15:01, Dan Stowell wrote:

> OK, having looked through the verbose output I find the following:
>
> cp -f "../../../lib/libdesignercore.a"
> "/opt/local/var/db/dports/build/
> _private_opt_local_var_db_dports_sources_rsync.rsync.darwinports.org_d
> pupdate_dports_aqua_qt3-mac/work/destroot/private/opt/local/lib/
> libdesignercore.a"
>
> which is the last mention of the file before
>
> ranlib: can't open file:
> /opt/local/var/db/dports/build/
> _private_opt_local_var_db_dports_sources_rsync.rsync.darwinports.org_d
> pupdate_dports_aqua_qt3-mac/work/destroot/opt/local/lib/
> libdesignercore.a
> (No such file or directory)
>
> I note that the "cp" command is aiming at
> .../destroot/private/opt/local/lib whereas ranlib is searching in
> .../destroot/opt/local/lib - but what does this tell me? I'm afraid I
> don't know...

Is there a /private/opt on your system? There isn't on mine. I
believe the Cisco VPN installer installs, or used to install, in /
private/opt [1]... But I can't see anything in the qt3-mac source
code or the portfile or its patches that explicitly uses /private/opt...

[1] http://trac.macosforge.org/projects/macports/wiki/FAQ?
version=1#IjustinstalledMacPorts1.2fromthe.dmgandIseemtohavelostallmyins
talledportsakaCiscoVPNatemyMacPorts