mysql5 problem?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Apr 12 02:36:43 PDT 2007

On Apr 12, 2007, at 04:28, Christian Voelker wrote:

> On Apr 11, 2007, at 22:32, Karl Timmermann wrote:
>
>> When using the mysql5 +server port, I can't connect locally to
>> mysql using localhost (root). Only 127.0.0.1 and the unix socket
>> works.
>
> Does name resolution work properly?
>
> Try to connect using localhost to another server
> process running locally, e.g. activate personal
> websharing in the sharing control panel and point
> your browser to localhost. Does it show the
> famous "it works" page? If not, stick with that.
> Try flushcache command on your lookupd. Check
> with your ethernet config using ifconfig and
> post results here if you cant deal with that
> on your own. If it is really mysql-specific,
> then I dont know about the problem.

Christian, the problem is MySQL-specific. The default hostname to
connect to a MySQL server is "localhost", and MySQL special-cases the
"localhost" hostname, bypasses the entire network stack, and accesses
the local MySQL server's socket file directly. Karl's network
probably works fine, since he said it works fine when connecting via
the server address 127.0.0.1, for which MySQL does no special-casing,
does not go directly to the socket file but rather does use the TCP/
IP stack.