getting subversion compiled with openssl

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Apr 12 02:56:20 PDT 2007

On Apr 12, 2007, at 04:29, SteveC wrote:

> I'd like subversion to be able to get data from https:// repositories.
> I'm new to ports.

Welcome to MacPorts!

> When I did `port install subversion` I saw openssl flash by but it
> doesn't look like it pulled it in as it still fails.

Why do you think openssl wasn't pulled in? What still fails? In what
way?

> In linux I'd do
> `ldd /path/to/svn` to see if it was linked to openssl but don't
> know how
> to do similar on a mac?

The Mac OS X equivalent of "ldd" is "otool -L". I can never remember
that so I just define an alias in my ~/.bashrc.

> Anyone have any pointers for what I need to do to make this happen?
> Do I
> just pass compilation ops to `port`?

No... the point of MacPorts is that the relevant compilation options
have already been chosen for you. In MacPorts, you'll always get
Subversion with OpenSSL support. (More specifically, you'll get Neon
with OpenSSL support, and Subversion uses Neon.)

Some ports give you choices for what options you want to use, in the
form of variants. You can use "port info foo" to see foo's variant
names. Unfortunately variants don't have descriptions though; if the
variant name isn't enough to tell you what it does, you can read the
portfile itself with "port edit foo" and either read the variant's
code or see if the author has left a comment about the variant's
purpose.

So the point is that if you installed the subversion port, it should
have OpenSSL support. Are you getting an error message when trying to
access a Subversion repository over https?