mysql5 problem?

Karl Timmermann timmerk at comcast.net
Thu Apr 12 15:20:36 PDT 2007

> Need more info. What concrete problem do you experience? What error
> message? Is it about the socket file not existing? If so, does it
> tell you what path it's looking for the socket file at? If so, does
> the socket exist there? If so, are its permissions OK? If the
> socket is not there, why not? Is your mysql server running? What OS
> version? What processor architecture? What solutions have you
> already tried? etc. etc. etc.

I can't connect to the mysql server using any tool or program using
root at localhost (connecting to "localhost" using the username of
"root" and my password). I can however connect if I connect to
127.0.0.1 using root. I have the root user work at any domain. Errors
are different depending on which program I use, but basically it says
I can't connect. If I try to connect using the socket, it works (not
the default socket, but the one that the port specifies). I'm running
OS X 10.4.9 on an Intel Core 2 Duo.

Basically, localhost is not pointing to the correct socket file. If
that could be fixed, it would be fine with me, since all my code and
apps point to localhost right now. I don't want to have to add a Unix
socket path in every bit of code where I have the connection details.
Ideally, it should use TCP/IP when connecting to localhost. If I
wanted to use a socket, I would have specified one.

I guess the 2 solutions needed (or just one) would be: 1.) How do I
make MySQL's localhost mechanism point to the correct socket file if
a custom one was specified when compiling mysql via MacPorts, and 2.)
how do I turn off this "feature" and let localhost resolve to 127.0.0.1?

Thanks again,
Karl