Gnome-Applets installation problem

Christopher Riker criker at ns-design.com
Fri Apr 13 14:07:35 PDT 2007

(sorry about the poorly formed post and double - now triple -
posting. I figured a cleaner post would easier to read...)

Hi-

I'm pretty new to MacPorts, X11 and linux in general, so please bear
with me!

I've been trying to get GNOME to install, and have run into problems
with Gnome-Applets. I remember seeing a post in this list archives
back on April 1 (two long weeks ago) with the same error that I am
encountering. The responses seemed to indicate that the error would
be fixed within 24 hours, due to an upgrade from Gnome 2.16 to 2.18.
I've been using PortAuthority under OSX and have since run an update
on MacPorts 1.4 (none needed) and ran an "add port descriptions" as
well. Some components for Gnome are showing 2.16.2 while others are
showing 2.18.0, Gnome-Applets is reporting 2.16.2

I'm doing this on a new install of MacPorts, started in late march. I
haven't installed anything other than the attempt to get Gnome
installed (I'm holding off until I have Gnome installed before adding
some of the other items in which I am interested.)

I've have tried a clean and reinstall of Gnome-Applets with no luck.

Today's error message is the same I have been receiving these past
weeks:

> --->  Building gnome-applets with target all
> make  all-recursive
> Making all in po
> make[2]: Nothing to be done for `all'.
> Making all in charpick
> Making all in help
> make[3]: Nothing to be done for `all'.
> make[3]: Nothing to be done for `all-am'.
> Making all in geyes
> Making all in themes
> make[3]: Nothing to be done for `all'.
> Making all in docs
> xsltproc -o geyes-es.omf --stringparam db2omf.basename geyes --
> stringparam db2omf.format 'docbook' --stringparam db2omf.dtd "-//
> OASIS//DTD DocBook XML V4.1.2//EN" --stringparam db2omf.lang es --
> stringparam db2omf.omf_dir "/opt/local/share/omf" --stringparam
> db2omf.help_dir "/opt/local/share/gnome/help" --stringparam
> db2omf.omf_in "`pwd`/./geyes.omf.in" `/opt/local/bin/pkg-config --
> variable db2omf gnome-doc-utils` es/geyes.xml
> db2omf: Could not construct the OMF maintainer element.
>   Add an author, corpauthor, editor, othercredit, or publisher
>   element with the role attribute set to "maintainer" to geyes.xml.
> make[3]: *** [geyes-es.omf] Error 10
> make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> make: *** [all] Error 2
> Warning: the following items did not execute (for gnome-applets):
> com.apple.activate com.apple.build com.apple.destroot
> com.apple.install

It looks to me that the problem is about 5 lines up, and with the OMF
maintainer element which seems to be set in a geyes.xml (document?).
I have looked for filenames with geyes in them and have not
discovered any in the /opt directory.

Any advice would be most appreciated!

- Chris