iTerm

Jochen Küpper JOCHEN at fhi-berlin.mpg.de
Sun Apr 15 01:06:20 PDT 2007

On 15.04.2007, at 02:26, Patrick Burleson wrote:

> What would be the benefit of
> compiling iTerm from scratch when it comes as a Universal binary on a
> DMG? (That's a serious question...since I only use MacPorts for
> command line things)

I can answer one part of that: what is the benefit of having iTerm as
part of MacPorts instead of just downloading it from the web?

Well, for one it's easier to get. I heard these great stories about
iTerm from my colleague, went to my Mac, typed
   sudo port install iTerm
voila, there it comes.
Moreover I automatically get new versions when I do
   sudo port upgrade active
because some of the nice guys at MacPorts updates the package once in
a while;)

This approach also prevents clutter of my Application folder, because
typically I forget to remove Apps I don't use anymore, so they only
eat up hd-space. With MacPorts I have a single point to look for,
also in that respect.

Can we just put a dmg into a port and install from that? There
someone of the MacPorts developers has to answer...

Greetings,
Jochen
--
Fritz-Haber-Institut der MPG -- Department of Molecular Physics
Faradayweg 4-6 (C1.03)

phone: +49-30-84135686
fax:   +49-30-84135892