dependencies on gcc4

John Owens john_owens at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 16 07:20:11 PDT 2007

I installed "R" yesterday and note that it has a dependency on
"gcc40". I try to keep up to date with xcode and note that my
xcode gcc is version 4.0.1. But installing R (not a huge
package) also installed gcc (definitely a huge package, took
many hours to build).

I understand that MacPorts wants to install its own versions
of some stuff (python, perl, etc.) and that makes sense for
most packages. But for something like gcc, because of its size
and because Apple's distribution is pretty good, I'd prefer to
see it handled more like X11, as a "this package is already
natively provided by the system and we should use it if
available".

JDO