MacPorts py-gsl installation failure

markd at macports.org markd at macports.org
Mon Apr 16 09:22:58 PDT 2007

Jochen Küpper <jochen at fhi-berlin.mpg.de> on Monday, April 16, 2007 at 8:26
AM -0800 wrote:
>As I told you, the 0.3.2-port you prepared seems to work for me as well.
>
>However, in repsonse for above message I also got the following
>response from Pierre Schnizer:
>
> > Thanks for your report.
> > Please could you insert the attached file to src/simanmodule.c and
>send me any remaining errors?
> > Please which compiler version are you using.
>
>Thus I downloaded the pygsl-0.9.0 tarball from sourceforge and run
>python setup.py build in there -- simply worked for me (This is on a
>PPC machine).
>
>Since 0.3.2 is quite old and also does not support numpy, IIUC, maybe
>we can get a 0.9.0 port?
>
>What was your problem with the 0.9.0 version?
>- Would the new simanmodule.c help?
>- Could it be you don't have py-numpy installed, but that y-numpy
>should be a dependency for py-gsl, instead of py-numeric?
>
>Maybe sending the output to Pierre or the pygsl ml would immediately
>show them the problem?

Oops, resending with my susbscribed address .......

Hi Jochen,

Since installing numpy requires installing a lengthy gcc install, I won't
be able to try that as a dependency for py-gsl for awhile.  You can try it
yourself though.  Just edit the py-gsl Portfile and replace the old
version and checksum with these.

version 0.9.0
checksum  c69c3deed25525f153f2f03942e99040

Then uninstall py-gsl and reinstall it and you'll get py-gsl 0.9.0.  If it
turns out that py-numpy is required to install it, then just let us know
and the port can be updated.  You could also consider becaoming maintainer
of the port if you want since it has no maintainer now.

Mark