Be alert for the heimdal port's instance of "su"

Landon Fuller landonf at macports.org
Mon Apr 16 18:43:19 PDT 2007

On Apr 16, 2007, at 14:14, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> On Apr 16, 2007, at 06:28, Tabitha McNerney wrote:
>
>> $ sudo su - postgres81
>>
>> Whoops! That "su" is not the "su" you might be thinking of. That
>> "su" is:
>>
>> /path/to/macports/bin/su as in /opt/local/bin/su
>>
>> installed by the heimdal port.
>
> A bit unrelated to your question, but: I've seen others use "sudo
> su -" but I haven't understood it. Why not use "sudo -s"? Isn't
> that equivalent?

sudo su - will reset the environment entirely, whereas sudo -s won't
necessarily do so. You -can- configure sudo to do the approximate
equivalent, but that's not the default behavior:
	landonf at timor:~> sudo -s
	root at timor:~> echo $HOME
	/Users/landonf

As for the original problem, heimdal should probably place it's
binaries somewhere like:
	${prefix}/libexec/heimdal

or ...?

I tried to get heimdal to prefix all binaries with 'k' a while ago,
but never finished. Providing a different path seems preferable,
given that some people will want the binaries first in their PATH.

-landonf