Missing libavcodec library in ffmpeg port

Boey Maun Suang boeyms at macports.org
Mon Apr 16 19:58:52 PDT 2007

Hi David,

>> I just downloaded ffmpeg and it appears to be missing the
>> libavcodec.dylib.51.9.0 library:

I've finally got around to looking at it, and the answer is quite
simple: the ffmpeg port isn't configured to build shared libraries at
the moment -- static libraries only is the default setting for the
ffmpeg source.  Unfortunately, just adding "--enable-shared" isn't
working, as I'm then getting build failures; I'll email the
maintainer once I get something working and I'll keep you posted.

>> A friend tells me I should be seeing this:
>>
>> /opt/local/lib/libavcodec.dylib -> libavcodec.dylib.51.9.0
>> /opt/local/lib/libavcodec.dylib.51.9.0

FYI, that's not quite the naming convention on Mac OS X.  On Linux at
least, shared libraries (a.k.a. dynamic libraries) have the extension
".so" and their version numbers come after that if they are
explicitly given in the filename, e.g.:

libavcodec.so
libavcodec.so.51.9.0

Your friend is half-right with respect to Mac OS X: the shared
libraries have the extension ".dylib", but the version number comes
before that extension, e.g.:

libavcodec.dylib
libavcodec.51.9.0.dylib

But that's just by-the-by :-)