sudo broken after port install

Boey Maun Suang boeyms at macports.org
Mon Apr 16 21:46:03 PDT 2007

On 17/04/2007, at 13:38, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> On Apr 16, 2007, at 22:32, Chris Drackett wrote:
>
>> I just installed port, then mysql5 +server, svn and py-docutils py-
>> mx on a brand new mac. However, now when I open a new shell and
>> type "sudo" i get:
>>
>> Calvin:~ cwd$ sudo
>> sudo: can't stat /opt/local/etc/sudoers: No such file or directory
>>
>> what did I break, and how do I fix it!
>
> You presumably installed and are now using /opt/local/bin/sudo
> instead of the system's usual /usr/bin/sudo. I don't know what port
> installs sudo, but the sudo port would be my guess. You could know
> for sure by typing "port provides /opt/local/bin/sudo". You could
> then either uninstall that port, or you could create /opt/local/etc/
> sudoers with reasonable contents (which might be similar to what's
> already in /etc/sudoers).

In addition, running the system's sudo by typing the full path of /
usr/bin/sudo, i.e.

/usr/bin/sudo <whatever>

instead of just

sudo <whatever>

should enable you to actually remove the MacPorts sudo if you
installed MacPorts using sudo.  You will probably also need to use /
usr/bin/sudo to view /etc/sudoers, if you want to use that as a
template for creating /opt/local/etc/sudoers, but I would recommend
removing the MacPorts sudo (unless you know what you are doing) as
it's the safer option.

Kind regards,

Maun Suang

--