X11

David Liontooth liontooth at cogweb.net
Tue Apr 17 22:38:50 PDT 2007

There are several versions of X11 for OSX -- the one Apple distributes,
and in macports, xfree86 and xorg, both in several variants. Could
someone give us a summary of the state of X11 on OSX? What should be
used when? Where are we headed?

I'm so far not able to start the XFree86 version I installed. The
XDarwinStartup man page says, "When run without  any  arguments,
XDarwinStartup will start the Quartz X server if the Core Graphics
window server is currently running. Otherwise it will start the IOKit X
server." In my case the Core Graphics window server is running, so I try:

    XDarwinStartup -quartz

but it just sits there, and I see the process list has

    /usr/X11R6/bin/XDarwin.app/Contents/MacOS/XDarwin -quartz -nostartx

Doesn't seem to want to run, does it?

Dave