X11

David Liontooth liontooth at cogweb.net
Wed Apr 18 09:52:26 PDT 2007

Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> On Apr 18, 2007, at 00:38, David Liontooth wrote:
>
>> There are several versions of X11 for OSX -- the one Apple distributes,
>> and in macports, xfree86 and xorg, both in several variants. Could
>> someone give us a summary of the state of X11 on OSX? What should be
>> used when? Where are we headed?
>
> I believe we are at xorg is broken, xfree86 was recently updated to
> version 4.6 so at least someone must believe it works, and I myself
> have always used Apple's X11 and never had any reason to try anything
> else. Simply make sure you have both X11User.pkg (from Mac OS X
> installation media) and X11SDK.pkg (from Xcode disk image) installed.
> (Check /Library/Receipts to see if you're missing either of those.)

Thanks, Ryan -- so the only reason to install MacPorts' XFree86 is to
satisfy requirements -- it won't actually be used?

I generally connect to the XServe through ssh (though I also have VNC
access).

  * How do I check for installed *pkg files via the command line?

  * Can I start Apple's X11 remotely?

  * Will the ports that require XFree86 work with Apple's X11?

Sorry to be a pest; you're really being very helpful. All this is just
new territory for me.

Dave