Problem compiling / installing octave

Andre Stechert andre at splunk.com
Fri Apr 20 10:02:00 PDT 2007

Same problem here:

stechert at kirin:~ [1027] $ sudo port install gmp
--->  Fetching gmp
--->  Verifying checksum(s) for gmp
--->  Extracting gmp
--->  Configuring gmp
Error: Target com.apple.configure returned: can't read
"configure.cflags": no such variable

stechert at kirin:~/Repositories/svn/macports/trunk/dports/audio/faad2
[1028] $ sudo port version
Version: 1.430

As the octave maintainer, I'm happy to mention that the configure.cflags
feature is not yet used in the octave Portfile.  A quick scan however,
shows that these other Portfiles are not so lucky.

stechert at kirin:~/Repositories/svn/macports/trunk/dports [1011] $
find . -name Portfile | xargs grep configure.cflags
./audio/faac/Portfile:configure.cflags-append   "-D__unix__"
./audio/faad2/Portfile: configure.cflags-append  -DHAS_LRINTF
./audio/herrie/Portfile:        configure.cflags-append -g
 >>> ./devel/gmp/Portfile:configure.cflags -force_cpusubtype_ALL
 >>> ./devel/gmp/Portfile:    configure.cflags-delete -
force_cpusubtype_ALL
 >>> ./devel/gmp/Portfile:    configure.cflags-delete -
force_cpusubtype_ALL
 >>> ./devel/gmp-cxx-wrappers/Portfile:configure.cflags -
force_cpusubtype_ALL
 >>> ./devel/gmp-cxx-wrappers/Portfile:      configure.cflags-delete -
force_cpusubtype_ALL
 >>> ./devel/gmp-cxx-wrappers/Portfile:      configure.cflags-delete -
force_cpusubtype_ALL
./multimedia/ffmpeg/Portfile:configure.cflags-append    -DHAVE_LRINTF
./security/courier-authlib/Portfile:configure.cflags-
append             -I${prefix}/include/db44
./sysutils/fhist/Portfile:configure.cflags-append $
{configure.cppflags} ${configure.ldflags}
./x11/Eterm/Portfile:configure.cflags-append -DDARWIN

gmp is the dependency that's preventing Octave from getting
installed.  Perhaps Paul G. and Mark D.
have installations that can handle the cflags keyword?

Andre