darwingports -> macports migration headaches

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Apr 26 16:23:07 PDT 2007

On Apr 25, 2007, at 17:11, Bakki Kudva wrote:

> I have been using Darwinports for a year or so now without any
> problems. I recently decided I'd have to bite the bullet and upgrade
> so I did a
>
> sudo port self update
>
> I tested a couple of
>
> sudo port upgrades which went well and so, emboldened I decided to
> do a
>
> sudo port upgrade outdated
>
> This didn't go without errors. I am attaching a file of errors mostly
> from attempts to install pkg-config.
>
> The first time around checksum fails.
> Verifying checksum(s) for pkgconfig
> Error: Checksum (md5) mismatch for pkg-config-0.21.tar.gz
> etc.
>
> Then it gets really strange when with each attempt at install,
> macports seems to append yet another pkgconfig directory to the source
> dir to look for the tar.gz file. Starting with
> /opt/local/var/db/dports/distfiles/pkgconfig/pkgconfig/pkg-
> config-0.21.tar.gz
> (which is wrong)
>
> and finally ending up with
> Could not open file:
> /opt/local/var/db/dports/distfiles/pkgconfig/pkgconfig/pkgconfig/
> pkgconfig/pkgconfig/pkgconfig/pkgconfig/pkgconfig/pkgconfig/
> pkgconfig/p
> kgconfig/pkg-config-0.21.tar.gz
>
> Any ideas on what this is?
>
> Also when I try to port uninstall the old ports I still get
> dependencies against new ports, which they should have. For example:
> sudo port uninstall ruby @1.8.4_2
> --->  Unable to uninstall ruby 1.8.4_2, the following ports depend
> on it:
> --->    rb-sqlite3
> --->    rb-sqlite3
> --->    rb-rubygems
>
> Here one of the rb-sqlite3's is the old one which has been
> uninstalled. The rb-rubygems is the new active port which shouldn't
> have dependency on the old version of Ruby. Is it safe to use the -f
> flag to uninstall an old port? -or- will it remove all dependents even
> though they are newer?
>
> I'd appreciate any explanation of what's going on and how I might
> fix it.

pkg-config is required by many other ports. I just confirmed that pkg-
config 0.21 still installs just fine. Your bad checksum error
probably means your download did not complete successfully. Clean
pkgconfig and try again:

sudo port clean --all pkgconfig

I can't explain the weird pkgconfig/pkgconfig/pkgconfig path in
distfiles.

I do not know why ports are listed multiple times in the output of
port uninstall. I see that too sometimes. I ignore it. Forcing the
uninstall is ok if you are going to replace it with a newer version
of the port.