A patch for installing php5 -macosx +apache

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sun Apr 29 14:41:55 PDT 2007

On Apr 29, 2007, at 11:07, markd wrote:

> js on Sunday, April 29, 2007 at 7:50 AM -0800 wrote:
>
>>> Specifying "-macosx" is ... weird. Variants like macosx and darwin_8
>>> are auto-selected by MacPorts; you should not be selecting (or, =20
>>> as in
>>> your case, unselecting) them by hand.
>>
>> Good to know.
>> I don't know you're the right person to ask this,
>> but how about adding that info to MacPorts FAQ?
>> I think many people's been wondering what macosx is.
>
> I don't understand it either.  I thought the platform keyword was =20
> used to
> do that stuff, not variants.

I agree. Looks like the wording "platform macosx" is used in 12 =20
ports, while "variant macosx" is only used in php4, php5 and =20
libsdl_mixer-framework. I guess I should change it to "platform macosx."

> And doesn't osx =3D darwin?  Wouldn't it be
> better to use the 'platform dawin' statement?  When would osx <> =20
> darwin?

Mac OS X =AD Darwin when someone goes and downloads the Darwin source =20=

from Apple and installs it on a generic PC, for example.

http://www.opensource.apple.com/darwinsource/

Darwin is a command-line OS that is free and available from the Apple =20=

web site. Mac OS X is Darwin plus the Aqua interface and can be =20
purchased for $129.