Compiling transcode on OSX

David Liontooth liontooth at cogweb.net
Mon Apr 30 09:57:49 PDT 2007

We're trying to sort out why transcode isn't compiling on OSX:

>From: achurch at achurch.org (Andrew Church)
>To: transcode-devel at exit1.org
>Subject: Re: [transcode-devel] Re: Compiling transcode
>Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2007 08:52:42 JST
>
>>>  gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I.. -D_REENTRANT -DLINUX -I.. -Wall
>>> -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -g
>>> -O2
>>> -no-cpp-precomp -D_INTL_REDIRECT_MACROS -MT tcmemcpy.lo -MD -MP -MF
>>> .deps/tcmemcpy.Tpo -c tcmemcpy.c  -fno-common -DPIC -o .libs/
>>> tcmemcpy.o
>>> /var/tmp//ccMwDlN6.s:43:missing or invalid immediate expression
>>> `0b111'
>>> taken as 0
>

>What version of binutils are you using? (Sorry if you already mentioned
>this--I haven't had a chance to review the thread.) This looks like a
>case of an outdated assembler version not being able to parse binary
>constants.

I responded I don't know how to determine what OSX is using natively. How is that done?

I then installed the port of FSF's binutils, reconfigured transcode and recompiled, but the build failed in exactly the same way. How do I know if the FSF binutils is being used?

>>> /var/tmp//ccMwDlN6.s:206:Alignment too large: 15. assumed.

>This should only happen on x86 if you're compiling to a.out, which is
>ancient, or (again) if your assembler is too old. (On the other hand, the
>use of .balign rather than .align here would avoid such potential trouble,
>and I'll look into making that change on CVS HEAD when I have a chance.)
>
>Note that you can disable assembler code entirely by passing --disable-mmx
>to ./configure (but this can slow transcode down considerably depending on
>what you do with it).

I responded I tried to compile with --disable-mmx, and also --disable-sse and --disable-sse2, individually and collectively, and it had absolutely no effect on the build -- it fails in exactly the same way.

Suggestions would be much appreciated.

Dave