macport install problems

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sat Aug 4 19:36:38 PDT 2007

On Aug 4, 2007, at 16:45, Maurice Munyore wrote:

> Could some help know why the discrepancy between the macport
> message that it does not need updating and the no ports installed.

There is no discrepancy. Read more below for why.

> I'm a newbie trying to install macports so i can run rtorrents
> however i seem to get the message no ports installed despite
> getting no problems with port self update and port sync. Below are
> the messages I receive when I try to install rtorrents. i'm running
> Mac OS X 10.4.10 powerbook g4 1.5
>
> powerbook:~ maurice$ sudo port selfupdate
> MacPorts base version 1.5 installed
> Downloaded MacPorts base version 1.5
> The MacPorts installation is not outdated and so was not updated
> selfupdate done!

"selfupdate" updates your ports tree and your MacPorts base software.
You already had the latest MacPorts base software so no update was
necessary.

> powerbook:~ maurice$ sudo port -dv sync
> DEBUG: Synchronizing ports tree(s)
> Synchronizing from rsync://rsync.macports.org/release/ports/
> DEBUG: /usr/bin/rsync -rtzv --delete-after rsync://
> rsync.macports.org/release/ports/ /opt/local/var/macports/sources/
> rsync.macports.org/release/ports
> receiving file list ... done
>
> sent 74 bytes  received 273888 bytes  23822.78 bytes/sec
> total size is 15152669  speedup is 55.31

"sync" just updates your ports tree. So now you have the most current
port definitions and can install any port you like.

> [...]
> DEBUG: Found port in  file:///opt/local/var/macports/sources/
> rsync.macports.org/release/ports/devel/pkgconfig
> DEBUG: Searching for dependency: pkgconfig
> DEBUG: Didn't find receipt, going to depspec regex for: pkgconfig
> DEBUG: Found port in file:///opt/local/var/macports/sources/
> rsync.macports.org/release/ports/archivers/zlib
> DEBUG: Searching for dependency: zlib
> DEBUG: Didn't find receipt, going to depspec regex for: zlib
> DEBUG: Found port in  file:///opt/local/var/macports/sources/
> rsync.macports.org/release/ports/devel/ncursesw
> DEBUG: Changing to port directory: /opt/local/var/macports/sources/
> rsync.macports.org/release/ports/devel/ncursesw
> DEBUG: Requested variant powerpc is not provided by port ncursesw.
> DEBUG: Requested variant darwin is not provided by port ncursesw.
> DEBUG: Requested variant macosx is not provided by port ncursesw.
> DEBUG: Executing variant darwin_8 provides darwin_8
> DEBUG: Searching for dependency: ncursesw
> DEBUG: Didn't find receipt, going to depspec regex for: ncursesw
> DEBUG: Found port in file:///opt/local/var/macports/sources/
> rsync.macports.org/release/ports/archivers/zlib
> DEBUG: Searching for dependency: zlib
> DEBUG: Didn't find receipt, going to depspec regex for: zlib
> DEBUG: Skipping completed org.macports.main (pkgconfig)
> DEBUG: Skipping completed org.macports.fetch (pkgconfig)
> DEBUG: Skipping completed org.macports.checksum (pkgconfig)
> --->  Extracting pkgconfig
> DEBUG: Executing org.macports.extract (pkgconfig)
> --->  Extracting pkg-config-0.22.tar.gz
> DEBUG: setting option extract.args to /opt/local/var/macports/
> distfiles/pkgconfig/pkg-config-0.22.tar.gz
> DEBUG: Environment:
> DEBUG: Assembled command: 'cd "/opt/local/var/macports/build/
> _opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_devel
> _pkgconfig/work" && gzip -dc /opt/local/var/macports/distfiles/
> pkgconfig/pkg- config-0.22.tar.gz | /usr/bin/gnutar --no-same-owner
> -xf -'
> sh: line 1: /usr/bin/gnutar: No such file or directory
>
> gzip: stdout: Broken pipe
> Error: Target org.macports.extract returned: shell command " cd "/
> opt/local/var/macports/build/
> _opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_devel
> _pkgconfig/work" && gzip -dc /opt/local/var/macports/distfiles/
> pkgconfig/pkg- config-0.22.tar.gz | /usr/bin/gnutar --no-same-owner
> -xf - " returned error 127
> Command output: sh: line 1: /usr/bin/gnutar: No such file or directory
>
> gzip: stdout: Broken pipe
>
> Warning: the following items did not execute (for pkgconfig):
> org.macports.activate org.macports.extract org.macports.patch
> org.macports.configure org.macports.build org.macports.destroot
> org.macports.install
> Error: The following dependencies failed to build: curl pkgconfig
> zlib libsigcxx2 libtorrent openssl ncurses ncursesw
>
> When i look at whether i have any ports installed. i get the

rtorrent requires many other ports, including pkgconfig, and an error
was encountered while trying to install pkgconfig, so the
installation was aborted. Therefore no ports have been installed.

You need to correct the error MacPorts encountered:

> Command output: sh: line 1: /usr/bin/gnutar: No such file or directory

Please verify whether you have /usr/bin/gnutar. If you do not, then
your Mac OS X installation is incomplete. I believe gnutar is
provided by either BaseSystem.pkg or Essentials.pkg from the Mac OS X
DVD, both of which are quite essential to Mac OS X's functioning.
What version of Mac OS X are you on, on what Mac?