MacPorts' Directory Layout Guideline or suggestion?

Jeff Stubbs jeff at cjstubbs.org
Sun Aug 5 20:35:36 PDT 2007

On Aug 5, 2007, at 12:19 PM, js wrote:

> I'm wondering if there's  any guideline or  suggestion that
> MacPorts port  creaters should  follow.
>
> apache2 installs its  conf  files in /opt/local/apache2/conf
> but apache's in /opt/local/etc/apache/conf.
> Is this a bug? or just lack of good guidelines?

May I pose a follow up question to this one?

The apache2 install in /opt/local/apache2 looks like a tweak to the
default build to install it inside the /opt directory. But the
postgresql build is scattered just like the OP's example of the
apache install. (i.e., bulk is in /opt/local/lib, db cluster in /opt/
local/var/db/postgresql/defaultdb, ...etc) Is there is a historical
reason for this?

Just to get a handle on working with portfiles, I created a local
repository and modified the original portfile to install the database
into an /opt/local/pgsql82 direcotry. Ran into a couple of minor
problems but was able to work it out. The server works fine. I
realize that any attempt  to use this modified port wouldn't be worth
it, but was a good learning experience.

Jeff