xmlto problems

Brad Miller bonelake at gmail.com
Tue Aug 7 08:50:36 PDT 2007

Hello,

I've been trying to use asciidoc and xmlto to compile some documentation.

In documentation for the mercurial bundle, and using  a simple example from
the asciidoc tutorial page I get the following errors when I try the
following:

 xmlto pdf article.xml                                     ~/tmp
I/O error : Attempt to load network entity
http://docbook.sourceforge.net/release/xsl/current/fo/docbook.xsl
warning: failed to load external entity "
http://docbook.sourceforge.net/release/xsl/current/fo/docbook.xsl"
cannot parse
http://docbook.sourceforge.net/release/xsl/current/fo/docbook.xsl
Variable $SGML_CATALOG_FILES not set
I/O error : Attempt to load network entity
http://docbook.sourceforge.net/release/xsl/current/fo/docbook.xsl
warning: failed to load external entity "
http://docbook.sourceforge.net/release/xsl/current/fo/docbook.xsl"
cannot parse
http://docbook.sourceforge.net/release/xsl/current/fo/docbook.xsl

I have no sgml directory in /opt/local/share/  and I've tried setting
SGML_CATALOG_FILES to various random locations suggested in the archives but
no luck.

I don't understand why it says it failed to load the external entities from
docbook.sourceforge.net when I can curl them without a problem.

Here's what I have installed:
  xmlto @0.0.18_2 (active)
  asciidoc @8.2.1_1 (active)
  docbook-xml @4.5_0 (active)