Removing Developer Tools.

Artie Ziff artie.ziff at gmail.com
Sat Aug 11 13:12:09 PDT 2007

Hi,

I have no recommendation for you regarding how remove things. However
I wanted to note a rationale for keeping the ports collection.

Consider that Apple's distribution of a particular OS release will
contain older versions of included 3rd party products (ruby, perl,
apache, sshd too!). So the Apple built versions will be older than the
currently available version. This version discrepancy will exist even
if you have the latest version of Mac OS. Accordingly, if you do not
upgrade every paid release cycle for Apple's new release, the older
versions can become a problem especially if the OS is used in a real
production environment..

There are more good reasons than the above, too. Can anyone think of a
negative?

Perhaps, if you prepend the proper paths for MacPorts at the beginning
of your PATH variable, then perhaps it will appear you only have one
version installed.

Cheers,
AZ