Problem installing readline

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Aug 14 16:42:21 PDT 2007

On Aug 14, 2007, at 10:59, Thomas Schober wrote:

> 2007/8/14, Thomas Schober:

>>> Ah yes, subversion depends on apr-util, which depends on sqlite3,
>>> which depends on readline. It does not depend on readline-5, and
>>> readline-5 would not satisfy the readline dependency. So we're back
>>> to my previous suggestions regarding potential changes to the
>>> readline port you could try:
>>>
>>> http://lists.macosforge.org/pipermail/macports-users/2007-August/
>>> 005009.html
>>
>> The Problem is, that this line :
>>
>>  delete ${destroot}${prefix}/share/info/dir
>>
>> is not in the portfile. there is a generall line inside, which
>> goes over all
>> /share/info/*.
>>
>> I tried to delete this line, but the same problem as before.

Either you are looking at the wrong portfile, or your portfiles are
months out of date. The relevant line has been that way since
February 2007, as per this changeset:

http://trac.macosforge.org/projects/macports/changeset/22017

This is the file we're talking about:

http://trac.macosforge.org/projects/macports/browser/trunk/dports/
devel/readline/Portfile?rev=26187

It is located at the path devel/readline/Portfile within your ports
tree.

Line 41.

What is the first line of your readline portfile -- what is the
output of this command?

port file readline | xargs head -n 1

On my system, it is as follows:

# $Id: Portfile 26187 2007-06-15 10:36:51Z ryandesign at macports.org $

And this is what you should see, too, if your ports tree is up to date.

> ok, i fixed the problem:
>
> i just created
>
> /opt/local/var/macports/build/
> _opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_devel
> _readline/work/destroot/opt/local/share/info/dir
>
> this directory was missing

It sounds like you worked around the problem, rather than fixing it.
You may have succeeded in installing the port today, but if you ever
need to reinstall it, I see no reason why the same problem would not
occur again. It would be beneficial to discover why the problem
occurred in the first place. Maybe a change needs to be made to the
portfile. We won't know until someone who's experiencing the problem
(you) tries out the changes suggested above to see if they help or not.

Another possibility would be to explicitly write the code so that the
file is only deleted if it exists, similar to this:

http://trac.macosforge.org/projects/macports/changeset/27782