Overwriting config files

Boey Maun Suang boeyms at macports.org
Thu Aug 16 23:05:28 PDT 2007

Hi Brian,

> I have had some issues lately with upgrades overwriting config
> files (postfix, apache2).
> Should I create a ticket for these issues, or is this being fixed
> in this ticket:
> I noticed this ticket: http://trac.macports.org/projects/macports/
> ticket/2365

The ticket you mention is a proposal for an addition to the MacPorts
core, and it appears that it will need significant work before it can
be closed.  The current procedure is for individual port maintainers
to rename configuration files that should not be overwritten on
upgrade (e.g. by appending ".sample" to the end of the filename);
people who install those ports then create a file without the suffix,
possibly using the example file as a template, and this latter file
is used as the local configuration file.  The port should at least
give you information at installation time about which files this
applies to.

I can thus see two potential causes for your problem.  The first is
that you mistakenly made the "*.sample" files your configuration
files, in which case there may be a documentation problem, and you
could help us by pointing out where you think such documentation
ought to go.  (We are currently completely re-writing the old
MacPorts guide, so if you could take a look at the current unofficial
development version [1], suggestions would be most welcome.)

The second is that the port misses some configuration files that
should be made examples, in which case fixing any such failures would
the province of the individual port maintainers, and it would be best
for you to file individual tickets in Trac, addressing the Cc: field
to both yourself and the port maintainer.

If you're not sure as to which of the above is occurring, or if you
think that the problem might be of another kind, please indicate
which files are being overwritten on upgrade and we'll see what we
can suggest.  I hope that this helps.

Kind regards,

Maun Suang

[1] http://geeklair.net/new_macports_guide