Please suggest a Mac program similar to "top" on Linux

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Aug 20 01:01:22 PDT 2007

On Aug 19, 2007, at 22:59, Richard Bronosky wrote:

> The top program on Linux is interactive and extremely useful.  I
> find the one on the Mac to be quiet painful to use in comparison.
>
> There doesn't seem to be an port of http://htop.sourceforge.net/
> for the Mac.
>
> Please advise.

If you mean there is no MacPorts port of htop, this is because htop
does not appear to work on Mac OS X. Their web site does not seem to
mention Mac OS X compatibility, and running ./configure says:

configure: error: Cannot find /proc/stat. Make sure you have a Linux-
compatible /proc filesystem mounted. See the file README for help.

And Mac OS X does not have a /proc filesystem.

You could ask the authors of htop if they could make it work on Mac
OS X, but I suspect it would require significant work on their part.

I don't have very high demands on top, so Mac OS X's top suits me
fine. There's also Activity Monitor in /Applications/Utilities which
can be useful and informative.