xmlto problems

Boey Maun Suang boeyms at macports.org
Tue Aug 21 19:07:28 PDT 2007

Hi Brad,

Sorry for the delay in replying; I caught a cold last week.

I don't get the error that you got with xmlto; my run of "xmlto pdf
article.xml" on the file you sent me borks with an xmltex error.
What that does mean, however, is that I'm getting past the stage
where you're getting your error.

(For interested third-parties, the DocBook XML to PDF process goes
like this:

DocBook XML --[1]--> XSL-FO --[2]--> PDF

where step [1] needs a program that can process the DocBook XSL-T
stylesheets that define the transformation from DocBook XML to XSL-
FO, and step [2] needs a program that can transform XSL-FO into a
PDF.  XSL-FO is an XML dialect that marks up how to lay out text and
graphics in a language that caters for multiple page sizes and layouts.)

Could you try running xmlto with the -vv flag (for very verbose
output) and report what you see then?  Also, it'd be great if you
could tell me whether or not you installed the DocBook XSL
stylesheets via the docbook-xsl port, and what the contents is of $
{prefix}/etc/xml/catalog .

Finally, I notice that you said that the original format of the
documentation was asciidoc.  Though I'd still like to figure out the
problem you're having with xmlto, you might be able to avoid it
entirely by using asciidoc's a2x command on the original asciidoc-
format document: "a2x -f pdf <article.txt>" should do the trick.

Kind regards,

Maun Suang

--
Boey Maun Suang (Boey is my surname)